The Virginia Catholic Conference, representing Arlington Bishop Paul Loverde and Richmond Bishop Francis DiLorenzo and their two dioceses in public policy matters, advocates before the Virginia General Assembly and state agencies. It also supports the federal advocacy efforts of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Working with the Bishops, diocesan partners, and parishioners throughout the Commonwealth, the Conference stimulates grassroots advocacy via the Conference’s Email Advocacy Network, Catholic Advocacy Day, and Advocacy Sunday (designed to boost membership in the email advocacy network).
In additiion, the Conference supports parishes by:
- providing resources addressing the connection between Catholic Social Teaching and current public policy issues
- promoting Conference initiatives through bulletin and pulpit announcements and flyers
- cultivating relationships with Virginia Catholic Conference Parish Liaisons
Many pastors throughout both dioceses have appointed Parish Liaisons. These Liaisons serve as a contact point for the Conference in its work with pastors and parishioners. They work with the Conference to understand current issues, learn the Bishops’ position on those issues as it relates to Church teaching, and share advocacy tips and methods. Parish Liaisons also coordinate with parish leadership to assist and enhance grassroots advocacy on the Conference’s respect life, family and education, and social justice issues.
Please talk with your pastor to find out the name of your Parish Liaison or ask him to appoint one for your parish.
Advocacy To-Do List
Join the Conference’s Email Advocacy Network
Conduct or participate in a voter registration drive in your parish
Pray about the issues, for the Bishops, the Conference and decision makers
Act on Conference issues by:
- Taking action on Virginia Catholic Conference email alerts
- Writing to legislators on respect life, family and education and social justice issues (See letter writing tips and sample letter)
- Calling legislators
- Encourage your family, friends and fellow parishioners to join the Virginia Catholic Conference Advocacy Network
- Participate in Catholic Advocacy Day (held each January at the Virginia General Assembly)