What You Can Do to Protect Religious Liberty:
- Educate yourself and others about religious liberty, including threats presented by the HHS mandate and other actions
- Join the Virginia Catholic Conference Email Advocacy Network and take action (by communicating with your elected representatives)
- Commit to fasting and prayer
Additional Resources, Op-Eds and Blogs
When it comes to the HHS mandate, who is imposing views on whom? Watch the Fr. Roberty Barron video
Diocese of Arlington, Religious Liberty webpage
Diocese of Richmond, Fortnight for Freedom webpage
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Chair of ad hoc committee on religious liberty: Our First, Most Cherished Liberty »
Religious Freedom is not a Second-Class Right, Mary Ann Glendon, Harvard Learned Hand Professor of Law and former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See
Marriage Re-defininition and Religious Freedom, Kim Daniels, Spokesperson for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
St. Thomas More: A Man for Our Season, Fr. Paul Scalia, April 4, 2012, Arlington Herald op-ed.
"Freedom is exercised in relationships between human beings. Every human person, created in the image of God, has the natural right to be recognized as a free and responsible being. All owe to each other this duty of respect. The right to the exercise of freedom, especially in moral and religious matters, is an inalienable requirement of the dignity of the human person. This right must be recognized and protected by civil authority within the limits of the common good and public order."
-- Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC)
Resources from VA Bishops and the USCCB
USCCB launches religious liberty awareness campaign
Find our what government regulation is doing to our faith. (Click image below)
Religious liberty is a fundamental right. Watch Archbishop Lori's video.
"Religious liberty isn't red or blue. It's American." Read USCCB's new print ads defending religious liberty
Visit USCCB's FirstAmericanFreedom.com
Second Fortnight for Freedom Calls Catholics to Prayer, Study Catechesis and Public Action, Bishop Loverde says in 2013 pre-Fortnight Letter
HHS Mandate Struggle Is About Preserving Religious Freedom, Not Partisan Politics, Bishop DiLorenzo says in 2012 Special Fortnight for Freedom Mass Homily.
The Truth about HHS Sterilization, Abortifacient and Contraceptive Mandate
- USCCB webpage on the HHS Mandate
- Bishop DiLorenzo, in April 9, 2012 Richmond Times-Dispatch op-ed, recalls America's foundational principles of freedom and points to grave threat to religious freedom inherent in HHS mandate.
- Bishop Loverde says HHS mandate accommodation merely subterfuge;' and continues to threaten religious liberty. See Feb. 25, 2012 Respect Life Mass homily.
- Fact Checking: Catholic News Service debunks HHS mandate myths.
- Bishop DiLorenzo and Bishop Loverde's letter to the faithful (and in Spanish), declares the HHS contraception mandate as an attack on the constitutional right of religious liberty.
Catholics in the Public Square
Cardinal Dolan talks about religion in public square, politics and faith and the HHS mandate in wide-ranging "Face the Nation'' Easter Sunday 2012 interview.