What You Can Do to Protect Religious Liberty:
- Educate yourself and others about religious liberty, including threats presented by the HHS mandate and other actions
- Join the Virginia Catholic Conference Email Advocacy Network and take action (by communicating with your elected representatives)
- Commit to fasting and prayer
Additional Resources, Op-Eds and Blogs
Diocese of Arlington, Religious Liberty webpage
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Chair of ad hoc committee on religious liberty: Our First, Most Cherished Liberty »
Religious Freedom is not a Second-Class Right, Mary Ann Glendon, Harvard Learned Hand Professor of Law and former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See
St. Thomas More: A Man for Our Season, Fr. Paul Scalia, April 4, 2012, Arlington Herald op-ed.
"Freedom is exercised in relationships between human beings. Every human person, created in the image of God, has the natural right to be recognized as a free and responsible being. All owe to each other this duty of respect. The right to the exercise of freedom, especially in moral and religious matters, is an inalienable requirement of the dignity of the human person. This right must be recognized and protected by civil authority within the limits of the common good and public order."
-- Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC)
Conscience protection for genetic counselors
See 2014 General Assembly summary
Chaplain religious liberty
Virginia Senate fails to override Governor's veto (April 2014)
Government regulation & faith (Click image below)
Religious liberty is a fundamental right. Watch Archbishop Lori's video.
The Truth about HHS Sterilization, Abortifacient and Contraceptive Mandate
- USCCB webpage on the HHS Mandate
- Bishop DiLorenzo, in April 9, 2012 Richmond Times-Dispatch op-ed, recalls America's foundational principles of freedom and points to grave threat to religious freedom inherent in HHS mandate.
- Fact Checking: Catholic News Service debunks HHS mandate myths.
- Bishop DiLorenzo and Bishop Loverde's letter to the faithful (and in Spanish), declares the HHS contraception mandate as an attack on the constitutional right of religious liberty.
Catholics in the Public Square
Cardinal Dolan talks about religion in public square, politics and faith and the HHS mandate in wide-ranging "Face the Nation'' Easter Sunday 2012 interview.